Job Type: Full-time
Department: Switch Division
The Business Development Manager identifies, evaluates, and manages new business opportunities and market initiatives. The role offers key technical support and insight to other direct and indirect sales personnel. This position establishes relationships with potential customers and connects the new customer with the appropriate sales personnel. The incumbent will work closely with the appropriate individuals to identify and evaluate opportunities and sales support staff to convert leads into sales. The Business Development Manager is normally an Individual Contributor, though this position may manage a small staff in support of an assigned area.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to projecting business opportunities and recommending actions to maximize the company’s market share, developing goals and objectives for territory performance, monitoring results against performance standards, and recommending appropriate actions when results fail to meet expectations.
- Identify, assess, develop, and manage new programs and new business opportunities for assigned area, leading to successful commercialization efforts. Work with prospective customers to identify unmet needs, implement initiatives to meet those needs.
- Responsible for profitably growing the business, both in market share and profit.
- Responsible for opportunity analysis and the development and execution of business development and new venture development plans. Identify and evaluate entirely “new to Southern States” business prospects for consideration that fit within the vision and capabilities of the business. Identify and evaluate new opportunities building off existing technologies to new or existing customers.
- Work with Marketing to formulate strategy and select key target markets. Identify prospective customers. Identify unmet customer needs. Work to identify products and processes needed to meet those needs.
- Lead and manage priority growth projects. Lead teaming efforts (and project manage activities) that include manufacturing, quality and application development resources. Be able to attach metrics and measurements to initiatives. Report on progress, issues, barriers and adaptions.
- Participate in trade associations and technical conferences related to target markets opportunities.
- Monitor and report on industry trends. Incorporate knowledge of the industry to partner with the appropriate groups/departments to develop products, support materials and pricing recommendations. Partner with Sales to transition business development account activities during commercialization.
- Identify customers and products for “quick hit” project opportunities.
- Assist in the development of divisional strategic and operating plans/budgets.
- Provide exceptional customer experience for business partners and prospects to develop long-term business opportunities.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with business partners at all levels of the customers’ organization.
- Navigate complex problems and structures to determine the best solutions for customer needs.
- May establish pricing programs and strategies.
- Collaborate with other divisions to evaluate capacity, identify trends, ensure quality and monitor budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: At least eight years of experience in sales or technical support for sales of equipment in the power industry.
- Travel: Ability to travel 40% to 60%.
- Experience: Ten – twelve years of experience in sales or technical support for sales of equipment in the power/utility industry.
- Key industry contacts and relationships.
- Competitive market knowledge.
- Power distribution product knowledge.