Job Type: Full-time
The Area Sales Manager is a key liaison between a network of customers and manufacturers representatives (agents) and Southern States. S/he has responsibility for generating between $17-22 million in annual revenue based on a defined territory with market potential of at least $36 million, and must be able to sell products for all Southern States Divisions. S/he has primary responsibility for maximizing sales within a territory and is responsible for managing goals/targets/plans for the agents within the territory. Responsibilities include but are not limited to projecting business opportunities and recommending actions to maximize the company’s market share, developing goals and objectives for territory performance, monitoring results against performance standards, and recommending appropriate actions when results fail to meet expectations.
- Develops business/personal relationships with agents and customers.
- Sets sales goals for agents and monitors performance against those goals.
- Continually evaluates agent performance and recommends action whenever appropriate.
- Completes bids including costing, documentation, technical data and recommends pricing strategies and specific pricing for individual bids.
- Obtains competitive pricing and other information regarding Southern States’ competitors.
- Ensures that quoted products meet exacting customer specifications for each proposal.
- Negotiates all matters relevant to sales, including prices, terms & conditions, backcharges, adders, factory support services, etc.
- Provides technical advice and counsel to agents and customers as needed.
- Assists in expediting orders as required.
- Assists with collections as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: At least eight years of experience in sales or technical support for sales of equipment in the power industry.
- Travel: Ability to travel 40% to 60%.
- Experience: Ten – twelve years of experience in sales or technical support for sales of equipment in the power/utility industry. Key industry contacts and relationships. Competitive market knowledge.