Job Type: Full-time
Sets up and operates mill or lathes or special purpose machines to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reads blueprint, work order and tooling instructions for specifications such as hole locations and size, feed rates, setting speeds and cutting tools to be used.
- Measures, marks and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work-piece as guides for subsequent machining.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, radial drills, jig borers, grinders, and shapers.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work-piece to specifications using machinist grade measuring instruments.
- Maintains working area in a clean, safe and orderly condition.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Team Work – Demonstrates the ability to be a productive member of a team based work group. Uses communication skills and ingenuity to effectively process work, share ideas and solve problems. Shares knowledge and experience of process and machinery with other team members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education & Experience – One-year machine tool / machinist certificate from college or technical school; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write simple reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate job related issues with supervisor, team leaders and other employees.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to convert decimal and fractional dimensions. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Ability to use advanced machinist handbook formulas. Ability to use a wide array of mathematical and geometric devices, such as, calculators, protractors, scales, calipers, micrometers, etc.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Physical Demands – While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must regularly lift and /or move 20 to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.