Job Type: Full-time
Supervisor: Supervisor, Machine Shop
- Sets up and operates single spindle bench style drill press to perform such machining operations as drilling, countersinking, spot facing, and tapping holes in metal workpieces by performing the following duties.
- Reads blueprint, work order and tooling instructions for specifications such as hole locations and size, feed rates, cutting speeds, and cutting tools to be used.
- Communicates with team leader to determine the correct tooling and method of producing assigned job.
- Secures specified tool in spindle.
- Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist, places it in fixture or jig or on machine table, and secures it with clamps.
- Positions and secures drilling jig to guide cutting tool.
- Manually operates feed lever to feed tool to specified depth in workpiece.
- Turns valve handle to start flow of coolant against tool and workpiece or dips tool in cutting oil prior to mounting, or manually lubricates workpiece or tool.
- Removes any sharp edges on part by using a de-burring tool.
- Verifies conformance of machined workpieces to specifications.
- Works on metallic or nonmetallic materials.
- Maintains working area in a clean, safe and orderly condition.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity: Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Team Work: Demonstrates the ability to be a productive member of a team based work group. Uses communication skills and ingenuity to effectively process work, share ideas and solve problems. Shares knowledge and experience of process and machinery with other team members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education & Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience..
- Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to communicate job related issues with supervisor, team leaders and other employees.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to convert decimal and fractional dimensions. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Ability to use mathematical and geometric devices, such as, calculators, protractors, scales, measuring tapes, etc.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one or two step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must regularly lift and /or move 20 to 40 pounds and occasionally handle material over 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.