Job Type: Full-time
Division: Power Switching
Application Engineers are the primarily responsible for actively driving and managing the development of electrical control drawing packages for high-voltage switches and switching devices. Working in conjunction with the sales, manufacturing and quality teams as the key technical advisor and product advocate, the Application Engineer must be able to identify and provide reliable solutions for all technical issues to assure complete customer satisfaction through all stages of the engineering process. The Application Engineer must be able to establish and maintain strong relationships throughout the engineering cycle.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of principles in protection and control system designs.
- Effective technical and practical engineering skills and ability to consistently deliver quality, accurate and timely work to Southern States and its customers.
- Maintain expert level of product knowledge and application.
- A good working knowledge of the fundamental requirements of electrical engineering and the basic requirements of other engineering fields.
- Engineering experience in the same or similar industry of Southern States, and developing leadership skills.
- Ability to create BOM’s and work with AutoCAD/AutoCAD Electrical to detailed system drawing packages.
- Project Management experience would be beneficial.
- Ability to listen, understand, and convey customer requirements.
- Lead and advise in the design and development of new engineering standards, templates and control schemes.
- Maintain accurate records of target accounts, opportunities, quotes, projects, contacts and correspondence in company approved databases.
- Resolve customer issues or difficulties in a manner that is consistent with the company mission, values, and financial objectives.
- Maintain professional business relationships within company departments.
- Provide status of ongoing projects and future projects.
- Identify customer’s needs and engineering opportunities to help future growth.
- Travel to project sites to preform start-up, integration, sales support, and training services as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five or more years of directly related experience in protection and control system designs.
- Competent use of electrical engineering specific software and relevant software such as MS Office Suite & AutoCAD/AutoCAD Electrical.
- Ability to perform effectively in time sensitive situations while maintaining focus and quality.
- Leadership skills including the ability to work as a team member, to maintain project timelines and deliver on commitments.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and recommendations.
- Available for Travel <10%.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Direct experience in electrical utility or switchgear industry
- Working knowledge of basic electrical tools including multi-meters and basic electrical hand tools.
- Some job site or factory experience in the Switchgear field.
- Experience with Structural steel is a plus.
- Mechanical Engineering experience is a plus.
- Experience with control cabinet design is a plus.